Frank H. Johnston, born in Toronto 1888, he is also part of the group of Canadian WAR Artists (1915-1918) and a Group of Seven member. Painted in 1918, entitled Moose Pond in the North West Territories. It’s an expansion of the South Nahanni River just below its water heads.
Johnston spent a year working at the Ontario College of Art in the early 1920’s but by the fall of 1921, he left Toronto to work at the Winnipeg School of Art, and officially broke away from the Group of Seven by 1924. In 1927 he changed his name to Franz Johnston and continued to make decent money off of his paintings.
Franz Johnston passed away in 1949, and was buried in the McMichael Canadian Art Collection Burial Grounds in Kleinburg Ontario with the other members of the Group of Seven.