Tags

, , , , , ,

This photo of central Berlin, the Capital of the Federal Republic of Germany, re-united and once again the Capital since 1990. It had lost that title in 1946 with the division of Germany by the Allies when the Capital moved to Bonn for the Western part of the Country and the Eastern part kept Berlin, half demolished, bombed out as their capital.

The photo below is East Berlin now known as Mitte or central Berlin. The Princes and Kings of Prussia lived on the island on the Spree River as of the 15th century until 1918. The buildings on the left side of the photo, you have the great dome of the Lutheran Cathedral it was connected to the Imperial Palace across the street, heavily damaged in 1944 it was lovingly restored to what it was like in 1918, the crypt is full of coffins of the Royal Prussian family members. The cathedral is surrounded by several museums all fully restored since 1989 at great expense. The collections are breathtaking, varied and shows the knowledge and quality of the curators who worked for the Hohenzollern family. The long gray facade building on the Spree river is the old stables of the Palace, housing hundred of horses and carriages at one time. The empty space between the cathedral and the stables is occupied today by the reconstruction site of the great City Palace of the German Emperors. On the middle of the photo is St-Nicholas neighbourhood also heavily damaged by aerial allied bombardments in 1942-1944, the churches have been restored and so has the red brick tower and building of Berlin’s City Hall. The modern towers you see in the background is Alexander Platz built to celebrate the visit to Berlin of Russian Tsar Alexander I in 1805, it was re-imagined by the Communists East German government and turned into a typical soulless ugly brutalist architectural monstrosity for army parades, think Red Square or Tien An Men Square in Beijing.

unnamed-3.jpg

 

135834743.jpg

Same area another shot taken around 2007

Advertisements